Noir is the new black

I've been appalling at posting lately so I have a couple of excellent film noir recommendations for you!

Let's make this quick and dirty -

First up a film I always meant to get around to hiring and having recently done so, simply cannot believe it's been under my radar so long.  Joseph Gordon Levitt is fast becoming a fave of mine for his consistently excellent performances.  Although it's difficult to do well, when a film successful approaches a strict genre like noir from a new angle, I just adore the work.

BRICK


PLOT:  A teenage loner attempts to navigate the local underworld to investigate the disappearance of the girl he loves.

CAST: Joseph Gordon-Levitt (10 Things I Hate About You), Emilie de Ravin (Remember Me), Nora Zehetner ("Grey's Anatomy")

Watch the trailer











Classic noir will never date, and the second recommendation is a perfect example.  Released in 1997, it's as good today as the first time I watched it...

An all time great movie, this won Kim Basinger an Oscar and introduced Hollywood to the talents of a Gumleaf Mafia. 
I give you...

LA CONFIDENTIAL

PLOT: After closing the case of a shooting at a diner, three cops separately re-investigate when everything seems too neat.

CAST: Kevin Spacey, Guy Pearce, Russell Crowe, Kim Basinger, James Cromwell, Danny DeVito, David Strathairn

LOCATED IN: Thriller

Watch the trailer here

No comments:

Post a Comment